after the rain.

after the rain.
beauty is left.

blog list

Thursday, January 17, 2008

behind the stars: writer's strike


“Behind many acts that are thought ridiculous there lie wise and weighty motives.”

-François de la Rochefoucauld

I'm not an expert on the topic, nor have I really followed the writer's strike information carefully in-depth over the last two months since it began. And so, I'm probably like any other bystander, disappointed that my favorite tv shows' seasons have been cut short, have ridiculously random endings, and that most of the award ceromonies concerning pop culture have been unfortunately canceled (the people's choice award's attempt to go on was boring...). This is exactly what the situation wants the public to feel and therefore take the side with the writers.
I found it very interesting how during the people choice awards, Angus T. Jones from "Two and A Half Men" said with a solemn voice, "I kind of wanted to tell you a joke, but the writers are on strike, so I have nothing." Besides the motive of more money, I believe that the writer's strike as a whole have taught us a lesson about appreciation for those not seen. Of course, everyone else is trying to convey the same message that "writers are awesome", "we need them" in order to coax the writers to return without demands satisfied.
I'm not sure if I'm too pessimistic to say this, but I hope some can agree with me that the chain of effects following America's disasters have altogether made us stronger in a way (besides the other side effects too). For example, 9/11, a terrible time indeed. We all have our stories about conspiracies involved and other ideas, but really, no one was prepared. As a result, our nation heightened in security, invaded our privacy, made us scorn the president with the decisions made about Iraq, but despite these annoyances, the crux of it all was that America soon looked around and saw each other.
Then about four years later, Hurricane Katrina and the tsunamis came tumbling in and shook America as well as the whole world to raise the awareness of helping each other out in times of need.
Now we have this, writer's strike. What has it taught us? To me, it made me realize that actors and actresses are only faces or puppets. Without the lines to say or the master puppeteer's hands, they are merely only good-looking people and objects that only make a room look pretty and nothing more. One simply cannot succeed by them self. An actor cannot perform without a performance to give. Be grateful for those who work behind the scenes, they are just as if not more important as the actors. I truly hope the strike will end and that both parties are satisfied.

-lilxerica

No comments:

acceptance

You just can't hold on forever.
Giving up something you held
so dearly is tough, but manageable.
We all have to move on.
Right?

Please fill out!