after the rain.

after the rain.
beauty is left.

blog list

Monday, January 7, 2008

new year resolutions

Make or Break?

I pull out a particular square of notebook paper from my folder.

It's been folded several times and so I carefully open each layer of paper revealing the many creases indented into the edges. The top of the page is titled "New Year Resolutions 2008." Underneath, a list of about seventeen items had been written. I give a light chuckle realizing how many of them I had broken. Already it had been almost a week from the new year and this list of scribbled writing felt so old. I pull the paper closer and squint at the words. The majority of the list seemed to be written with such thought, anticipation, and time invested into creation.

Feeling guilty, I wonder: Is it too late to start over?

Other times, I can't help but think that perhaps I neglected to accomplish this new year's goals only because I was a tinsy bit lazy or rather a tinsy bit numbed by post-holiday cheer. I think a better explanation is the lack of self-discipline. I'll be gracious and give myself another chance. After all, it's a bit funny how new year resolutions seem to demand change over night. Sometimes it can't really happen like that. Working our way up is always a good thing to do. And so this year, if you yourself have ceased to begin, why not start now?

However, I wouldn't always have this sort of psychology or seriously, you'll never get anything done. Also, maybe before one writes up a list, think through whether you will actually achieve at least one of them. That way, you can shoot for something, but won't be as heavy as a burden.
Short-term goals can be a little trick to get some motivated.

I mean, really, what's the use of making a list and ending up breaking every single item?

There isn't any = Big Waste of Time.


With that, change your old ways wisely, and begin anew!

Tomorrow,
resist the chocolates
and the french fries,
stop the profanity,
and treat others kindly.
If it were only that easy.

That's probably why about only ten percent of people who make new years resolutions succeed.

-lilxerica

No comments:

acceptance

You just can't hold on forever.
Giving up something you held
so dearly is tough, but manageable.
We all have to move on.
Right?

Please fill out!